If you’ve ever traversed the coastal road near the old Smokey Mountain Landfill, Barangay Vitas, you would have noticed at least ten huge billboards in succession advertising various alcoholic spirits in some of the poorest communities in the country.
Early last year, Young Focus International approached the team at Church Simplified with the good news that the barangay leaders had offered them the ten billboard spots to use however they pleased. The connection to PerkComm Inc., a local advertising agency, was made, and the campaign POSIBLE was born. Ten new billboards were installed featuring nine local stories from people within the Smokey Mountain community. These heroes continue to defy insurmountable odds waged by extreme poverty. These men and women of courage did not give into despair, they have fought and continue to fight daily to reimagine and rebuild a better future for them and their families.
It is our hope that their stories would serve as an inspiration to the communities in the area, as well as to all of us; to remind us that we should never lose hope, and that the darkness cannot keep beautiful things from happening. That they only serve as fertile ground for the emergence of grander stories.
1. Positive change can be made despite the many trials of life. Here are our friends from our own barangay who prove that it is possible.
2. It is possible to overcome poverty through education.
3. It is possible to prepare healthy meals on a small budget.
4. It is possible to teach the youth good values
5. It is possible to avoid early pregnancies and focus on goals for a brighter future.
6. It is possible to give up vices that can harm one family.